Who doesn’t want to eat cake every day?! I know I’d prefer to do it without the guilt.
This sugar free cake is one of my favourite recipes as it is delicious, simple to make and guilt free as it contains no refined sugar. Its sweetness is only from bananas and apples.
Using only eight ingredients this sugar free banana and apple cake is so tasty you won’t be able to stop at just one slice!
Here’s how it’s done….
Mix all your dry ingredients… no need to sift! Cinnamon, I just love it!
Melt butter however you like. My method is in the microwave on low heat for about 60 seconds. Whilst this is happening, beat four eggs and add milk then combine with butter! Now add this buttery mix to your dry ingredients and mix well.
Add mashed banana and apple slices. Your cake mix should look like this once combined. A tip when buying tinned apples is to be aware that a lot of fruit is tinned in sugary syrup which would then be added to your cake. I use Ardmona Apple Slices as they are 100% fruit and don’t contain any syrup.
It’s time to bake. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (360 Fahrenheit). Bake for 60 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
Here is deliciousness; finding it very hard not to slice the cake up right now and take a bite….but this icing is worth the waiting for!
It’s time to frost!
These simple ingredients make the most amazing sugar free cream cheese frosting you can imagine. If you have an obsession with cinnamon as I do, then add this to the mix. You are probably looking at the picture thinking is that “Heinz Baby Food? ” That answer would be yes! It’s the only apple sauce on the market that is 100% pure apples without any added sugars.
Begin mixing cream cheese and milk on a low speed until fluffy, then add apple sauce… mix… add vanilla…mix…add optional cinnamon if you like!
The icing should be moist and easy to spread. If you don’t want to frost the cake you could also treat it like a banana bread, toast it then spread the cream cheese frosting instead of butter… yum! Add a nice cup of coffee and that will make my afternoon!
Here is the finished product! Happy Baking!
- 13/4 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 3-4 large mashed bananas
- 410 gram tin sliced apple
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup full cream milk
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons full cream milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Grease loaf pan. For this recipe I used 24cm x 12cm (10 inch x 4 inch) loaf pan
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 Fahrenheit)
- Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl, flour, baking powder and cinnamon
- Cube butter and melt in separate bowl
- Beat eggs then add milk and melted butter
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients bowl, mix well until combined
- Mash banana and stir into mixture
- Mix in tinned apple
- Pour cake evenly into loaf tin
- Bake for 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean, allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before removal. Cake is very moist so be gentle when it comes time to remove from pan.
- Beat milk and cream cheese on low speed until fluffy
- Mix in apple sauce on low until well combined
- Add vanilla and mix until well combined
- Add optional cinnamon at the end and mix
- Icing should be moist and easy to spread